August 23-27, 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
About the Program: Study Tour for Vietnam Development Bank on Institutional Capacity Development for Development Finance and Credit Risk Management Enhancement with reference to the Philippine Experience.
13 Senior Officers from the Vietnam Development Bank (VDB) and the Japan Economic Research Institute (JERI)
ADFIAP’s Asia-Pacific Institute of Development Finance
To familiarize the participants with the experience of financial institutions in the Philippines that are engaged in development banking and finance in relation to the VDB Development Strategy 2010-2015 and Vision to 2010.
The program involves (i) Introductory briefing on development bank and DFI models in the Philippines and other Asian countries; (ii) Institutional visits or meetings/briefings with Senior Officers of:
1. Philippine Government Financial Institutions with developmental and commercial mandates/portfolios.
2. Philippine national or central government agencies that regulate and supervise above institutions.
3. Asian Development Bank
Institutional Visit Agenda
The subject of presentation and briefings to include:
1. History of the institution and how it evolved in relation to the economic and social conditions of the country.
2. Development and implementation of business strategy to address and balance their developmental mandate (in the case of Government-owned institutions) and market expectation to be commercially profitable (stockholders and depositors being among the major stakeholders).
3. Portfolio management, particularly with regard to liquidity and risk management.
4. Credit process to include rating and scoring systems
5. Role of the institution in the development of the local financial and capital markets.
6. Personnel training and institutional capacity-building programs
Agencies and Institutions to be Visited:
1. Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas
2. Department of Finance
3. Development Bank of the Philippines:
4. Asian Development Bank
5. Land Bank of the Philippines
6. Small Business Corporation
7. Philippine Export Import Credit Agency